New Paper published by Peter O’Kelly – Revisiting Open Document Format and Office Open XML: The Quiet Revolution Continues
Three years ago Peter O’Kelly wrote a paper titled, “What’s Up, .DOC? Open XML Formats, OpenDocument Format, and the Revolutionary Implications of XML in Productivity Applications.” That paper was a part of an industry-wide debate about Open XML and ODF. He has recently published a new paper that analyzes the current state of document formats.
This new paper, Revisiting Open Document Format and Office Open XML: The Quiet Revolution Continues, discusses:
- The business value of standardized, XML based document formats
- A brief history of Open XML and ODF
- The 2008 Open XML ISO controversy, and the response to Peter’s “What’s Up, .DOC?” Paper
- An assessment of current Open XML and ODF market dynamics
- Current standards activity
- Projections into the future
It is interesting reading for document format wonks.